The Burgh was largely endowed by Royal and other Grants, and its properties were varied and extensive. How these properties have been disposed of will, to a considerable extent, be seen from the Writs and explanations given in the Inventories. But even yet its properties and revenues are considerable, as will be seen from the Abstracts and Accounts after printed.
While the ancient Royalty was considered to be extensive, having regard to the then habitable Burgh, the Wall or fortification which surrounded the Town proper was of much less extent. The Wall, however, enclosed the Steeple and field around it, with the Earl Crawfordís Lodging. It commenced on the west near the present Sea Wynd, and along Ceree or Long Wynd to the Overgate, thence in a north-easterly direction to near the site of the present Willison Street, and eastward on the south or Town side of the ì Howffîó(the foundations here were lately removed in the course of the erection of the Advertiser Buildings in Bank Street),óthence it extended eastward along the north side of Murraygate, south of the Meadows, to the Wellgate, and eastward by the
Cowgate a little beyond the present St. Andrews Street, and thence southward to the Seagate and the River. There were several Ports and Gates in the Wall, viz, In Nethergate, Overgate, Wellgate, Murraygate, Cowgate, and Seagate, and it is recorded, a gate also between the Grey Friars and Black Friarsí fields at Barrack Street, near the site of the present south-west gate of the ì Howff.î
There are annexed views of the Town, taken probably about the middle of the seventeenth century, when of a very limited compass, and also a Plan of the modem Town, revised in 1877. The contrast is remarkable.