The monument that occupied this position was much ruinous and the coped sarcophagus top stone was removed and re-erected at 463 when it was being taken down to make way for a new memorial. When the foundations were being cleared for the new monument No70, three fragments were discovered and are numbered here as 70-3, 70-4 and 70-5.
Hic situs est e_____vrgi et Diedoni que obiit sexti diem Augusti anno 1591 aetatis suae____
Coat of arms, a saltier, and on a chief a saltier copued between two mullets, impaled with a chevron and a cross- crosslet fitched in base; on a cheif three mullets, the shield flanked with the initials T.A. on the dexter, and G.E. on the sinister side.
Source: The Book of the Howff, ©Lamb collection, reproduced with kind permission of Dundee Central Library, Local Studies Dept.