Burial Grounds Search.

 Stone No.592

 

Inscription.

 In memory of

DAVID BROWN

merchant in Dundee

who died 21st June 1845

aged 76 years

he was long a member

of the town council

and for several years

Chief Magistrate of Dundee

and he took and active part

in the management of

the public and charitable

institutions of the town

in private life

his conduct drew around him

a large circle of friends

by whom he was much esteemed

this stone

is erected by his family

in testimony of their

affection and respect

also

in remembrance of

MARGARET PEDDIE

wife of the said DAVID BROWN

who died 27th March 1850

aged 74 years


In memory of
The children of
David Brown
Merchant in Dundee

David Brown
Who died 27th January 1817
Aged 5 years
Christina Brown
Who died 26th September 1826
Aged 3 years
Margaret Brown
Wife of Peter Ballingall
Farmer Ayton Fife
Who died 50th September 1850
Aged 29 years
Ann brown
Who died 17th April 1852
Aged 22 years
Morison Brown
Wife of Alexr Greig Malcolm
Flaxspinner, Kirkaldy
Who died 5th December 1850
Aged 35 years.


ANDREW PEDDIE, through whose daughter MARGARET, DAVID BROWN claims his freedom, was for a long time Bailie in Dundee, as was also his son ANDREW PEDDIE of Bankhead. The former died in 1810, and the latter in 1837. It was probably through the influence of his father in law that DAVID BROWN was introduced to public life. He entered the Council in 1801, and continued to serve in it without intermission for twenty five years. During this long period he was frequently Bailie, was four times elected Provost (1820 21 24 25), and also held the offices of Dean of Guild, Kirk master, Treasurer, and Harbour Commissioner. After the Council had been reconstituted by the Municipal Act, he re entered the Council in 1832 and 1833, but his age precluded him from taking much interest in public affairs. He died on 21st June, 1845, and was buried in the Howff (No. 592) beside his wife's family.

Source 3


1817 By David Brown, merchant, Dundee.

11th July 1846, revisal dues paid by the heirs of Provost David Brown for permission to remove the old stone and erect a new one to his memory per minute of Hospital Committee of 27 January 1846

Source:RT