Humo adjacenti conditur quod morti concesserunt Alexander
Duncan de Lundie, qui fato fundus est Aprilis die A. AE. C. 1696
aetat. 44 ; ejusque dilecta conjux Anna Drummond, unica filia Mri Joannis
Drummond de Megginch, quae decessit Aprilis die 1695, aet. 42. Nencon
eorundem liberi Gulielmus, Patricium, Christiana, et Anna, quibits parentes
superstitis erant. Idem alter Gulielmus, qui matri non vero pater
vixit, et Joannes, filuis natus secundus, qui mortem, obiit Julii die 1696, aetat. 20.
"Mausoleum. extruendum curavit Mr Alexander Duncan de Lundie, A. AE.C. 1718."
[In the adjacent ground is laid the mortal part of Alexander Duncan of Lundie, who died the day of April, in the year of the Christian Era, 1696, aged 44; and his beloved wife Anna Drummond, only daughter of Magister John Drummond of Megginch, who died the day of April, 1695, aged 42. Also their children, William, Patrick, Christian, and Anna, whom their parents survived. Also another William, who survived his mother but not his father; and John, their second son, who died the day of July, 1696, aged 20.
Mr Alexander Duncan of Lundie caused this monument to be erected in the year of the Christian Era, 1718.
Claimed by the Earl of Camperdown a descendent of Alexander Duncan. (Source R.T.)
The family to which ALEXANDER DUNCAN belonged, and which is now represented by the EARL OF CAMPERDOWN, can be traced in connection with Dundee from the beginning of the sixteenth century. Reference has been made to some of the earlier members of the family in the note to the entry of FINLAY DUNCAN, surgeon, in 1550. From that date onwards the name appears frequently in the records of the Burgh. In 1590, WILLIAM DUNCAN, surgeon, was Dean of Guild, and in the following year was Bailie in Dundee, which office he filled till his death in 1608. From him descended that ALEXANDER DUNCAN, Laird of Lundie, whose name is entered here as claiming burgess ship through his father's privileges. He was the son of WILLIAM DUNCAN of Seasyde, a Bailie of Dundee in 1656, and was born in 1652. At an early age he took part in the municipal affairs of the Burgh, and having amassed and inherited a considerable fortune, he acquired the estate of Lundie from COLIN CAMPBELL, a scion of the family of ARGYLL. The exact date of this purchase is not known, but as CAMPBELL was retoured in Lundie on 23rd April, 1674, and DUNCAN was in possession of the estate in 1681, it must have been between these dates. After the Revolution, when WILLIAM III. was securely seated on the throne, ALEXANDER DUNCAN was sent to London by the Council, in company with PROVOST FLETCHER, to ask aid from the KING to defray the cost of placing Dundee in a state of defence, and repairing the bulwarks. In the "Accompt of Expenses be the Town in ffortifying the same," the following item occurs:
"For the Provost and Baillie Duncan, yr expences in goeing to London in January, 1689, for present枰ng the grievances of the burgh to his Majestie, 1,626 lib."
His name may have been specially enrolled in the Lockit Book after his return, as a reward for his services on this occasion. Though long a public official, ALEXANDER DUNCAN died at a comparatively early age.
The name of ALEXANDER DUNCAN appears frequently both as principal and witness in the Register of Baptisms in Dundee. The following may be quoted, as it supplies the name of one of his sons who survived him, but whose name is not included in the published genealogy of the family:-
"1682, March 21st George, son to Alexr Duncan of Lundie and Anna Drummond. Witnesses George Broune, lait Provost, Adam Drummond of Megginch."
GEORGE DUNCAN was appointed Town Clerk of Dundee, after the deposition of SIR ALEXANDER WEDDERBURN, in 1716. Several of the descendants of ALEXANDER DUNCAN were enrolled as Burgesses at a later date.
Source: Eminent Burgesses of Dundee - A.H. Millar 1887