to the memory of
Mrs SARAH BLACKLOCK TAYLOR
wife of JOHN IRVING HENDERSON Esquire
Sheriff substitute of Forfarshire
who died upon the 30th day of July
and of his sister
Mrs ELIZABETH HENDERSON
Lieut WILLIAM HOGGAN R.N.
who died at Dundee
upon the 12th day of July 1838
JOHN IRVING HENDERSON was a native of Dumfries-shire, and was born in 1781. In early life, while the French war was raging, he entered the navy, and remained in it for some time. He afterwards studied for the bar, and in 1812 he passed as an advocate; and for many years he maintained an honourable position as a laborious and painstaking counsel. In 1852, when a vacancy occurred at Dundee by the death of Sheriff Gillies, Sheriff L'Amy selected Mr Henderson for the office of Sheriff Substitute for the Dundee district of the county of Forfar ; and Mr Henderson, preferring the position of a local Judge in an important district of the country, to the struggle and anxiety of professional life at the bar, accepted of the appointment thus offered to him. This office he held for the long period of twenty-eight years, and only resigned a few weeks before his death, which took place on Dec. 24, 1860, in his 80th year. The high respect in which he was held by the local aristocracy and the superior portion of the middle classes was manifested by a recherche dinner which was given him on his retirement from the active duties of Sheriff Substitute. Mr Henderson was a widower, and left an only daughter. As a memorial of her father, Miss Henderson erected a set of school buildings in Annfield Road, Hawkhill, which were formally opened by the Bishop of Brechin (Dr Forbes) on Saturday, Aug. 2, 1862. Through an unfortunate contretemps, the school was shortly afterwards shut up, and remained in that condition for some time. It was then exposed to public sale, but no one appeared anxious to become the purchaser. In July 1865, however, Messrs Mitchell & Grahame bought the school and playgrounds, which were converted into counting and private rooms in connection with the extensive power looms known as the Baltic Linen Works.