"Visitors are often puzzled by a stone numbered 355, and bearing the date 1042, and the names "William Renney ; Janet Alison ; Arthur Wemyss ; Matildy(sic) Renney." This, however, is a gross imposition, a monument of nothing but the folly of a reckless mason, who in 1807 removed it from the Vault, where it formed the step of a stair, dressed and lettered it as described, and placed it in the Howff as a tombstone."
The letter writer is known only as C.C.M.
The above extract and newspaper stories are © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. & © 2014 brightsolid Newspaper Archive Ltd