Burial Grounds Search.

 

 

B

Barnet

20

Baxter

35, 52

Beckwith

23

Bell

28

Brough

18

Brown

56

Bruce

20

Butter

59

C

Caird

4

Cansh

52

Cant

44

Clark

46

Clouston

16

Cochran

33

Colvill

14

Crichton

5

Cross

22

Cumming

23

Cuthell

52

D

Dawson

52

Doig

9

Donald

58

Duncan

26

E

Edgar

11

F

Fairweather

58

Foote

36

Fraser

31

Fulton

14

G

Geekie

40

Gray

40

H

Henderson

12, 22

Hendry

29

Hepburn

55

Hogg

33

Howie

41

Hunter

2

I

Imrie

55

J

Jackson

55

Jafferson

3

K

Keay

17

Kennedy

59

Knox

33

L

Leighton

57

Lesslie

56

Lindsay

56

M

McBean

31

McCheyne

1

McLeod

Unlisted

McMillan

51

McNaughton

29

Mackay

36

Mackie

41

Marshall

43, 60

Middleton

27

Moir

49

Moram

18

Muir

54

Murray

1

Myles

43

N

Nicoll

45, 52

O

Ogilvie

55

P

Peebles

26

Peter

47

Philip

52

Phillips

21

Pullar

20

R

Reid

24

Ritchie

12

Robertson

51

Roddam

44

S

Samson

33

Scott

24

Sibbald

15

Sime

28, 45, 46, 47, 54

Smart

40

Smith

57

Stevenson

49

Stewart

16, 48

Sydie

27

T

Thoms

2

Thomson

22

W

Watson

50

Watt

2

West

35

Whittet

21

Y

Young

5, 50, 58, 60

 

 

 

St Peters Church, St Peters Street, viewed from the Perth Road

The St Peters Church was built in 1836. In 1843 it was kept by its congregation which became a Free Church.

The church has a small burial ground, which although only now has around 60 headstones, there were at least 306 plots judging by the carved numbers which are still to be seen on the stones.

The listing includes stones seen in around 1950 and recorded by Sydney Cramer and in 1976 by Alison Mitchell, plus one additional previously unlisted headstone.

 

 

  Unreadable
  Partial inscription

 

1

17

33

2

18

34

3

19

35

4

20

36

5

21

37

6

22

38

7

23

39

8

24

40

9

25

41

10

26

42

11

27

43

12

28

44

13

29

45

14

30

46

15

31

47

16

32

48

 

 

A view of St Peter's church

Invergowrie Church, or, as it is now commonly called, Dargie Church, dedicated to St Peter stands on a small hill by the Invergowrie burn, it is not known for certain when, or even by whom, the church was built.
It has been said that a church stood at Invergowrie as early as 431 A.D. However the tradition is that it was founded by Bonifacius Queretinus in the seventh century who was an Italian priest that came to Scotland with a view to bringing the Scottish Church to adopt the Roman customs. No trace of the original building remains with the current structure presumed to be medieval now standing on the site.
The present day church is in ruins, however the masonry appears to be well preserved. Not very far from the end of the inner south wall a Pictish cross slab was built into it and is shown below.

Built also into the outside wall was another stone (above), on which is carved the figures of three men. The stones were removed in 1947 and donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland.
Within the present building the south side of the church is the burial-place of the Clayhills of Invergowrie, with the north side being that of the Mylnes of Mylnefield. This section has an ornate iron gateway which is visible on the 1875 view of the building above and the photograph of the present gable below.

Black and white images: The Parish of Longforgan, A sketch of its Church and People by Rev. Adam Philip, M.A. 1875.