Burial Grounds Search.

 

Keyword searches can be made using the search box above. Surnames of the period can have a slight variation from the modern day in terms of spelling. As the names of individuals have been copied as written or inscribed, it may also be helpful to also browse through the surname indexes for the relevant burial ground.

 

New Section Added.

Newly added is a section of entries transcribed from the registers for the New Howff or Constitution Road burial ground. It begins from its opening in 1836 to until the final burial in 1938. It can be accessed from the main menu, or by:-

clicking here.

About The Angus Antiquarian, Burial Grounds.

Tombs of the Dundee Howff was a website conceived back in 2001, the aim of the site was to photograph and transcribe all the memorials within the Howff cemetery in Dundee, Scotland. To document the known history and perhaps uncover some not so well known facts and stories, and eventually to expand into other cemeteries. Due to various reasons the site was taken down, however working on various small side projects and wishing to place the results of such online it seemed to be prudent to once again share previous work.

The recording of inscriptions in the Howff was completed in 2015. All monuments visible and also those removed in antiquity, or destroyed by the ravages of time have their inscriptions recorded here. Additional inscriptions and information obtained from other sources and some background stories have now been added to selected memorials. Those pages which are showing just a name entry for the plots are the details as recorded in the 1833-34 survey and the Register of Tombstones and Monuments in Dundee Burial Ground 1832 and no further information is available at present. This survey of the Howff contains 2079 individual entries. With the website so far having 2924 individual memorial listings. Whilst care has been taken to be as accurate as possible throughout the project, feedback concerning any possible errors found would be appreciated.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank the staff from the Wellgate Library here in Dundee for their tremendous assistance. Also many thanks to Iain Flett and staff from the Dundee City Archive, and also Innes Duffus honorary Archivist to the Nine Incorporated Trades. 

Darren Eyers FSA Scot.

 

 

Copyright 2001-2021 Darren Eyers FSA Scot, no part of this site may be  reproduced without permission from the author or respective copyright holders. Material relating to the Lamb Collection is ©Libraries, Leisure and Culture Dundee, Local History Centre and is reproduced with kind permission. Material resourced from Dundee City Archives is ©Dundee City Archives and is reproduced with kind permission.

 

Unlisted Memorials

These memorials are generally dated after 1855 so are not normally to be found in MI volumes.

U1

U2

U3

U4

U5

U6

U7

U8

U9

 

U10

 

U11

 

U12

 

U13

U14

   

 

The three images below show men and machinery in May 1963, involved with beginning the process of clearing the New Howff (Constitution Road) burying ground to make way for a tarmac carpark. This carpark was then replaced when the new ring road was constructed. The original exterior walls were retained some time after the cemetery was removed.

 

©DC Thomson & Co. Ltd.

Reproduced with kind permission.

©DC Thomson & Co. Ltd.

Reproduced with kind permission.

 

©DC Thomson & Co. Ltd.

Reproduced with kind permission.

 

 

 

A view of St Peter's church

Invergowrie Church, or, as it is now commonly called, Dargie Church, dedicated to St Peter stands on a small hill by the Invergowrie burn, it is not known for certain when, or even by whom, the church was built. It has been said that a church stood at Invergowrie as early as 431 A.D. However the tradition is that it was founded by Bonifacius Queretinus in the seventh century who was an Italian priest that came to Scotland with a view to bringing the Scottish Church to adopt the Roman customs. No trace of the original building remains with the current structure presumed to be medieval now standing on the site. The present day church is in ruins, however the masonry appears to be well preserved. Not very far from the end of the inner south wall a Pictish cross slab was built into it and is shown below.

 

Built also into the outside wall was another stone (above), on which is carved the figures of three men. The stones were removed in 1947 and donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. Within the present building the south side of the church is the burial-place of the Clayhills of Invergowrie, with the north side being that of the Mylnes of Mylnefield. This section has an ornate iron gateway which is visible on the 1875 view of the building above and the photograph of the present gable below.

 

 

Black and white images: The Parish of Longforgan, A sketch of its Church and People by Rev. Adam Philip, M.A. 1875.